Joy Program at YNU, Japan
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering enables its students to participate in a cultural study abroad (Bachelor and Master level) at Yokohama National University (YNU) within the framework of an agreement. Within the “Joy Program” at YNU students participate in courses of Japanese culture, language and history – technical courses are not intended in the curriculum. The program is in English – except for language courses naturally; a minimum level of Japanese is beneficial, but it is not an obligatory requirement.
Frequently asked questions
Which requirements do I have to fulfill for an application?
- At least 3rd (Bachelor) semester during the application period
English language certificate:
- German University Entrance Qualification (Abitur): at least 6 years of English
- Language test of the RWTH Arts and Humanities Language Center (at least B2 level in all components)
IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, TOEFL
- A TOEFL test must in any case be provided after nomination through the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (internet-based TOEFL: 80 points), see below
Which application documents have to be submitted to the Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
Your motivational letter and your study plan should be entered in the respective fields on the online application platform. A Learning Agreement is not required.
In addition, please upload the following documents in PDF format:
- CV in German
- Transcript of grades in English (in CAMPUS Office or issued by the Central Examination Office )
- Transcript of Records in English (issued by the Central Examination Office)
- Language requirements (see below)
How does the application process work?
You apply until…
- …January 31st each year for a study abroad in fall (1-2 semesters).
- …May 31st for a study abroad in spring (in case there are spaces available) (1 semester).
The semester dates at YNU are similar to those in Aachen:
- winter semester: October 1st – March 31st
- summer semester: April 1st – September 30th
The exchange program is limited to one student per academic year.
You will be informed in written form of your nomination by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering; your application documents will then be forwarded to YNU. Please note: until the registration deadline at YNU (Apr 10th resp. Dec 10th) the TOEFL certificate as well as the letter of recommendation are obligatory!
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will assist you with further information.